[mythtv-users] Issues with Internal DVD Player

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:25:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Norm <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just picked up a few DVD's and generally I haven't had problems with
> the internal DVD player, however, I have a dvd 'Sahara', that when it
> starts plays the intro chapter over and over unless I go (m)enu, goto
> root menu on the DVD.  Then I get the DVD menu.  When I select to play
> the movie, the Mythfrontend seg faults and crashes.
>
> Using mplayer, it plays the movie - I don't get the menu though, which
> gives me access to other parts of the DVD and is much easier for my wife
> to use.
>
> I'm running:
> MythTV Version   : 16468
> MythTV Branch    : tags/release-0-21
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
> Network Protocol : 40
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend
> using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
> using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc
> using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
> using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3
> using_live
>
> on Mythbuntu 7.
>
> The CSS libs are installed - I can play other movies without problems.
>
> Any suggestions or an alternative dvd player software with menu support?
> I'm running with HD support, recent nvidia drivers for a 7600GT card
> with component out.

Two things.  First, xine will play back DVDs with menus, so you can try
using that as an alternative.  Second, open a ticket in trac (
http://svn.mythtv.org) with the details of the DVD, title, problems
exhibited, etc.  The DVD playback maintainer is great about checking out
movies that have issues with his personal Netflix account and trying to fix
them.

Kevin