[mythtv-users] Trying to get XVMC to work.

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Apr 22 15:20:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 18:20 -0500, stuart wrote:

> ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer
> 2008-04-20 11:46:20.852 AudioOutput Warning: Mixer attach error -2: No
> such file or directory
>                          Check Mixer Name in Setup: '/dev/mixer'

Your audio problem is most likely that your sound device is an ALSA
device, but your mixer device is set to /dev/mixer. You want to change
the mixer device to be ALSA as well.

Unfortunately, I was having the same issue as you, and fixing my audio
issues still did not get XvMC to work. I still get the same black screen
and pegged CPU that you are describing. I can get non-XvMC HD playback
to work without XvMC, but as soon as the machine does anything else
(such as making an HD recording, a common situation when time-shifting
where I am watching a recording that is still in progress), I get NVP
prebuffering pause errors in the logs and corresponding stuttering in
the playback. I have followed everything in the Wiki (as far as I can
tell) and I still can't get XvMC to work.

--Greg