[mythtv-users] Does Fast Forward Work for anyone?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Apr 22 02:25:13 UTC 2008

Eric Dalquist wrote:
> Do you mean 802.11g? I had been streaming HD captures from a HDHomeRun
> over 802.11g without too much trouble. That was through 2 drywall
> walls and was fine as long as the microwave was off and no other
> computers were on the network. You are correct though that 22/24mbps
> is about the max realistic throughput for 802.11g.

You're pretty lucky.  I live in an apartment complex.  There are at
least six other 802.11b/g networks visible from my location.  It took a
lot of experimentation before I found a channel that was clear enough
that I could even get SDTV to play smoothly over 802.11g, and if I
connect any 802.11b clients to my network it all goes to pot again.
Complicating things is 802.11's spread-spectrum modulation -- the signal
is actually 3 channels wide, so there aren't nearly as many usable
channels as it would appear at first glance.