[mythtv-users] Generating better recording filenames

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:47:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu>
wrote:

> Michael T. Dean [mtdean at thirdcontact.com] wrote:
> <...>
>
> Indeed, it would be bad for people to rename things to their liking.
> However, I think anybody with enough of a clue to try that would
> probably find the right (mythrename) way quickly enough.
>
> > Besides, who says that a name that's friendly to you is friendly to
> > everyone else.  Everyone would want their own filename formats--which is
> > the /entire/ point of mythrename.pl --link...  I can just imagine all
> > the people complaining that the format should be user-modifiable.  (I
> > don't want the start time, I want the original airdate, can't we just
> > add a setting...  Rinse and repeat a million times--each complaining
> > about something different.)
> >
> > Is it really so hard to run mythrename.pl --link?  I have my system run
>
> There is no reason a power user couldn't still run mythrename to make
> things exactly the way they want.  All I'm saying is that the default
> cryptic names are a barrier to entry for naive users who just want to
> play their files "out of the box" with a non-mythtv front end.

A naive user wouldn't bother.  They would run mythfrontend because doing
otherwise would involve setting up samba or NFS shares which a naive user
wouldn't know about any more than they would know about cryptic filenames.
It is the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" user that will likely
stumble upon this first

Kevin