[mythtv-users] Generating better recording filenames

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 21 15:35:58 UTC 2008

On 04/21/2008 10:01 AM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Michael T. Dean [mtdean at thirdcontact.com] wrote:
>
>> On 04/20/2008 01:26 PM, daniel åkerud wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to share my recording with other units on the network, and
>>> since the upnp support has been very shaky for me I had to come up
>>> with another solution. What I do now is have a script run that gets
>>> all the recordings from the database and generates links with good
>>> names that point to the recordings.
>>>
>> Sounds like you recreated mythrename.pl --link.
> Does anybody know why the MythTV recording filenames have to be so
> darned cryptic?

Because those are not your files.  If you want access to without using
MythTV, use mythrename --link to create a "user-friendly" view of the files.

>   Other systems have no problems using meaningful
> filenames. For example, SageTV recorded last week's My Name is Earl
> as:
>
> /var/media/tv/MyNameIsEarl-NoHeadsandaDuffelBag-100810-0.mpg
>
> They do something like
>
> filename=$series_name - $episode_name - $databaseid - $segment.mpg
>
> That way, it is easy to look up in the database, and it is
> also easy to identify by browsing the filesystem.
>
> This is one area where MythTV could be a little more user friendly...

Search the lists for all the posts about broken MythTV systems that
result after users run mythrename.pl (without --link).  There are all
sorts of issues, many of which exist outside MythTV and in the system
configuration, that would come into play when using localized filenames
that include "human-readable" information.

Also, making the files themselves easier to access makes it more likely
that users would break their systems by managing the files directly
(without going through MythTV).  I'll just delete this file.  Hmmm.
This filename has a stupid underscore character where the apostrophes
are supposed to be, so I'll fix it.

And many other reasons.

Besides, who says that a name that's friendly to you is friendly to
everyone else.  Everyone would want their own filename formats--which is
the /entire/ point of mythrename.pl --link...  I can just imagine all
the people complaining that the format should be user-modifiable.  (I
don't want the start time, I want the original airdate, can't we just
add a setting...  Rinse and repeat a million times--each complaining
about something different.)

Is it really so hard to run mythrename.pl --link?  I have my system run
it 5 times every 30 minutes to create 5 different views of the
recordings (sorted by start time/title, title/start time, recording
group/title, category/title, title/original airdate).  It's as easy as
setting up the attached script to run at 1/31 after the hour (or
2/32--to quickly catch those shows that start at +1 or +2 minutes after
the hour).

Mike