[mythtv-users] mythfrontend can't connect to backend/database

starcycle starcycle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 00:51:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Steve Wilson <mythtv_arizona at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  When you setup the database, how did you grant
>  permissions. Something like this will work but it has
>  no security so you'll want to do this as a test.
>
>  mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%"
>  identified by "mythtv";
>  mysql> flush privileges;

i've tried all of those options, no change.

mythtv can log in to the database, but it can't seem to do anything. I
tried the grant all comman as mythtv and it said access to mythconverg
was denied to mythtv at localhost. shouldn't it be able to make those
modifications?

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

>  Using perror:
>  root at myth ~]# perror 1
>  OS error code   1:  Operation not permitted
>

>  Which means it is likely that /tmp is owned by root:root and mysql
>  cannot talk to the socket.
>
>  Edit the /etc/my.cnf file to point mysql to somewhere it can write to..
>  This is the top of my file:
>
>  [mysqld]
>  datadir=/var/lib/mysql
>  socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>  user=mysql
>
>  /Var/lib/mysql is owned by mysql and of course it can write there!
>
>  Geoff

root at moe:~ # perror l
OS error code   0:  Success

datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
user=mysql

root at moe:~ # ll -d /var/lib/mysql
drwxr-xr-x 7 mysql mysql 408 2008-04-20 19:19 /var/lib/mysql

root at moe:~ # ll -d /var/run/mysqld
drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql root 112 2008-04-20 19:19 /var/run/mysqld

seems okay ???