[mythtv-users] CableCards to Become Useless ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 20 18:51:26 UTC 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Greg Lake wrote:

> I don't get the point of having a cable card inserted in your stb?
> Am i
> missing something?

I can think of a few reasons: Having the security in the card and not
he STB means the STBs are cheaper to make, and the boxes themselves
are no longer useful if stolen (without the card).

It would ensure that the encryption is the same whether you are using
the STB or a card-equipped TV set.

Changes in the encryption technology would not require changing out
all the boxes.

I'm not saying these are the reasons, just that they are possible ones.

> The only thing i can think of is, perhaps if you bought your own
> STB...Is that even possible?

Don't know. If they don't have any decryption hardware in them why not.

Perhaps you could wave a $100 bill at a cable installer's truck as it
passes by?

beww