[mythtv-users] lircd don't start automatically

Sarah Katherine Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Sat Apr 19 23:01:54 UTC 2008

Claude Gélinas wrote:
> After a complete reinstall and upgrade to FC8 everything is fine except lircd
> which do not start after reboot.
>
> In  /etc/modprobe.conf I have at the last line:
>
> # lirc
> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
>
> chkconfig tell me:
>
> lirc            0:arrêt 1:arrêt 2:marche        3:marche        4:marche
> 5:marche 6:arrêt
> lircd           0:arrêt 1:arrêt 2:marche        3:marche        4:marche
> 5:marche 6:arrêt
>
> so it should start in graphycal mode
>
> I need to manually load lirc_i2c with modprobe lirc_i2c and then /sbin/service
> lircd start to get it to work
>
> any idea of what I'm missing

Not 100% sure, although doing "sudo dmesg -c" to clear dmesg and then
rebooting and "dmesg | grep lirc" might give you a pointer as to why
it's not firing up.  On Gentoo you need to rc-update add lircd default
to bring the daemon up; not a clue what the equivilent of doing that is
in RH, but potentially its not been added to a runlevel.