[mythtv-users] Program guide freezes after 2 moves - SOLVED

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 19 16:07:12 UTC 2008

On Apr 19, 2008, at 8:57 AM, Ismo Tanskanen wrote:

> I had this problem too, except it was not just two moves, sometimes it
> worked longer.
> I find out that it was caused by Bob deinterlacer. I switched to
> Greedy
> 2x and guide works now perfectly

Wow, this seems to be a more common problem than I had thought. I had
assumed I had a somehow trashed something, and had a very unusual
problem. Considering the responses this is not so rare.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts about this, as it's a total
showstopper for me.

My initial suspicion that it was related to some setup parameter I had
changed turned out to be correct. I switched the playback profile from
"normal" to "slim" and the problem has gone away. The guide is very
responsive and never hangs. I must have changed this at some point.

The frontend CPU usage with "normal" was around 30% on SD programming.
With "slim" it's about 12%. I can't see any change in the displayed
picture. I'm driving a 32" LCD via the VGA port.

I can certainly see the guide slowing down as CPU load increases, but
for it to totally freeze with only a 30% load seems to me to be at
least a "problem", if not a true "bug". I know with 0.20 I could run
Bob de-int and have  no problems with the guide, even at 25%-35% CPU
load.

Bob is pretty CPU-intensive, so I'd guess that was what your problem
was as well. Steve's switching to XvMC would also have reduced his
load, so it looks like it's load-related.

This is a single-core Athlon64 3700+. No powerhouse by today's
standards, but it shouldn't have any problems with SD material. I'm
building an FX60 machine in anticipation of receiving my new Hauppauge
HD device.

Lessons learned so far:

Post the complete version (Thanks Michael)

Keep a record of anything you change in the setup, no matter how
seemingly trivial.

Never assume you have an uncommon problem just because you haven't
seen it here.

Thanks for all the responses, any suggestions on how to correct the
patter with even the "normal" profile would of course be appreciated.

beww