[mythtv-users] firewire/comcast/motorolla DHC3200

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 15:18:57 UTC 2008

Jason wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>

>> So, from reading the archives, it seems that people haven't been able to
>> talk to it through firewire yet.
>> That said, before I put more effort into it, I was curious if I would even
>> get anything useful through it:
>> can I record encrypted channels that I otherwise cannot get as analog or
>> unencrypted HD channels?
>>

>> If the DCH3200 can't be made to work, is there a recommended IR blaster I
>> can use to just record encrypted channels though svideo out?
>> (right now, I still get Sci-Fi via analog cable, but I'm told it'll go
>> digital soon, at which point I'd be dead in the water)
>>

> I've got a DCH-3200 hooked up via FireWire from Comcast (in 94403).  Channel
> changes and captures work fine.  I just plugged it in and away it went.
> Well, there was a bit more work for 0.20.2, but in 0.21 it's pretty simple.
> (I do run into the occasional issue with tuning due to what is likely a
> kernel module bug that's been fixed but posssibly not back ported to CentOS
> 5.1 yet.)
>
> You won't be able to record encrypted channels, though.  But, I get most of
> the SD channels unencrypted.  Most of the HD ones are unencrypted, too, but
> the encryption seems to get activated for some programs (not necessarily the
> entire channel).  I have a HD HomeRun as a primary to record broadcast
> channels (via QAM).  I've ordered the new Hauppauge device to cover the HD
> channels that I pay for that are encrypted, though.
>
> Jason

Hey, I hope you don't mind my jumping in here, but I have a DCT-3412
with Comcast in Southern NJ (near Atlantic City).  I have 2 Firewire
ports on it, and when I had 0.20.2 running (I've since upgraded to 0.21
and haven't put the Firewire back into the mix yet), but I've noticed
that whatever tuner you're on on the STB gets put out to BOTH firewire
outputs.  I could get the channel changer to work fine (the 6200ch) but
it seemed pointless to have to watch whatever was recorded.  I feel I'm
recording it for a reason, ya know?

Does your STB have this limitation?  How did you get around it if so?

Thanks for any info.
Harry