[mythtv-users] My frontend thinks its a backend

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 13:53:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Chris Isip <cmisipster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can somebocy help me figure this out?
> Mythfrontend logs:
> 2008-04-09 07:26:32.902 RingBuffer::RingBuffer(): Failed to open remote
> file (myth://
> 2008-04-09 07:26:32.902 PlaybackBox Error: Could not open file for preview
> video.
> mythfrontend is in
> the only backend is in
> I have the settings correct in mythtv-setup for as far as IP
> addressess.  However it is still trying to connect to
> This is an install of mythtv 0.21 from atrpms. I upgraded from .20.  The
> backend at works (except live TV, but I have to investigate
> that yet).
> In the past, I had to add a recordfileprefix entry for so I
> can use it to transcode stuff.  I was wondering If that needs to be deleted.

Run mythtv-setup on your backend and set the IP address of your backend
there so that it will properly identify itself to frontends.  You probably
have as the configured IP address of your backend in mythtv-setup
so it tells mythfrontend to connect to that IP and you get this situation.
I believe this is stated here (
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.3) although not quite so