[mythtv-users] Unreasonably high CPU usage when playing HD content? Suggestions?

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Sun Apr 6 12:58:23 UTC 2008

Hi all. I have recently built from scratch a new system for play myth SD and
HD content frmo a DVB-S source.

The system is a dual core AMD Athlon64 6400 @ 3.2 ghz, with 2 GB RAM, ATI
690G chipset.

The system seems to work great for playing SD content, which it can due
utilizing around 20% of one CPU.

But to my surprise it can't seem to handle HD content. No matter what
decoder or deinterlacer I select, I get up to 95%-100% CPU, and the system
starts choking.

Now, tome, this seems crazy. I know in Windows this system can handle
playing 20 Mbps HD content without a hiccup. So my questions:

- Is this CPU even enough for playing back DVB-S HD content? It should be I
would think

- Are there any compile flags you can pass to ./configure that would
significantly impact anything?

- When you are in mythtv-setup, there is an option to set the max CPUs for
decoding, yet AFAIK myth only EVER uses one cpu. Is there some special
compile option or codec I need to choose to allow for multi CPU decoding?
50% of each core would be much better than 100% of one.

- Could my bottleneck actually be the ATI video card, which I know already
has some tearing issues? 'top' is reporting mythfrontend consuming all the
CPU, not X.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is.

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut