[mythtv-users] Need advice on setting up a Dell e510 for Mythtv

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 23:32:52 UTC 2008

My Old Soyo KT400 Platinum dragon ultra is dying.  Some capacitors are
leaking.  I am trying to repurpose a Dell e510 PC to serve as a myth
server.  I was wondering if anyone on the list has tried this.  I wish to
use some of my existing hardware:  1 650 GB PATA drive, 1 750 GB PATA drive,
a PVR 500, a PVR 250.   I also have a motorola DCT 2000 settop box.

The e510 does not have any serial ports but it has a ton of usb 2 ports.  I
was wondering If anyone could recommend a usb to serial cable that works in
linux so I can connect to the DCT 2000 via its serial port.

Down the road, I want to use this PC as a router as well so I will need   a
PCI express ethernet card.
Can anybody recommend a pci express ethernet card as well?

I appreciate any comments or insights.

Chris