[mythtv-users] MythTV backup

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 15:09:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:38 PM, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
>  So what happens if your motherboard is fried by a power supply failure
>  which was my fear yesterday? I thought that the disk drives would
>  probably be OK but I knew that I could not find an exact replacement for
>   the motherboard and I feared that I would need to do a complete
>  reinstall of the OS. I was not confidant that a reinstall could preserve
>  the existing data. I also needed to provide a TV set to watch tonight's
>  TV programs.
>  --
>  David

Just thought I'd chime in - I've starred this thread because although
backup isn't important to me at the moment, it's good to know about
how to do it properly.

Anyway, I know from experience that Linux isn't nearly as sensitive to
hardware changes as e.g. Windows. I once had to take the drives out of
an Athlon XP box and put them into an ancient Pentium 2 based box, and
the only things that didn't work were those that I'd complied
specifically for the Athlon. I did make sure I had a generic x86
kernel installed first - because as long as you can get to a shell you
can work your way back up from there.

You shouldn't have any problems at all if the only things that are
different are the motherboard and PSU.

Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.21, UK Freeview, EIT-only EPG
mythbox: BE+FE, Mythbuntu 8.04, Athlon XP2000+ at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM,
nVidia GeForce 4MX (proprietary driver)
tuners on mythbox: Nebula DigiTV PCI, Elgato EyeTV for DTT Stick
(Hauppauge Nova-T USB Stick in disguise!)
smbx: FE, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Macbook Intel Core Duo at 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM