[mythtv-users] Finally using comflagging (wow!), have a few questions

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Apr 1 18:43:36 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
>>  Don't forget.. if you have another linux machine on your network, you
>>  can set that up to run commflag jobs for you to help offload your master
>>  backend. I was running with 4 machines at one point. A master backend, a
>>  slave backend/frontend and 2 that just ran commflag/transcode jobs. It
>>  was pretty nice until I got my electric bill and brought it down to 1
>>  box that does everything. ;)
>>
>>  -Brad
>
> Can you give me a few more details? I am planning on making my desktop
> a slave backend and use it just for commflagging. I was going to try
> just setting the master backend to never do commflagging and see if it
> was smart enough to automagically send it to my desktop.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Yeah, that would work. Just make sure you don't check the box that says,
"Only run jobs on recording host" and it will send jobs to any process
that requests it.

The best thing I've found to do is to create mountpoints on your slave
that are exactly in the same location as your master so there's no
chance of getting confused as to where to find the file you're trying to
flag. (Transcode jobs require this at the moment, so you might as well
just do it.)

Also remember that if your "slave" doesn't have any tuners in it, then
it's not really a slave and shouldn't run the backend (running
mythbackend on a box without tuners is not supported and you might see
bad things happen). If your box is ONLY going to do commercial flagging,
just set it up like you're setting it up as a slave backend, but only
run the mythjobqueue process on it, not mythbackend.

-Brad