No subject

Thu Sep 20 15:16:44 UTC 2007

contacted me off-list, this bit being set to anything other than 0x00 seems
to be the problem about 100% of the time.

After an extensive discussion, Josh did run this problem up the command
chain at Insight Communications. The end result was that the did agree to
change the CCI bit on my two problem channels that are free to OTA back to
0x00 (Should happen at 2AM EST 10/22/07). However they are not going to turn
it off on the premium channels. Josh was careful in his wording, so I am
sure this is due to pressure from the content producers to keep some form of
copy protection in place. I would encourage anyone who cannot tune in a
non-premium channel 9anything on your basic teir or that's free OTA) to
contact your cable company, make them aware of the FCC violation that is and
request they fix it.

For now I have put the S-video output solution back into place for my
premium channels for now.

However, I don't think this should be the end of the story. There are still
a few options.

1. Apparently, this CCI bit is enforced at the STB box. It does NOT prevent
you from watching these channels via a digital tuner card (pchd5000 etc).
unfortunately, my limited knowledge of that card prevented me from tuning in
the channels I wanted. The mythTV scanner only managed to find 10 of my 100
or so digital channels, and none of the critical 6 I want to get back in HD.

So, if anyone has a better guide on how to fine-tune for channels than what
I have found on the pchd5000 forums or the mythtv wiki, please contact me.
Is there a way to use the information from Schedules Direct to help find
these channels?

2. Content is still pushed out clean through the HDMI/DVI and Component (NOT
composite, critical difference there) outputs. I still feel the best
solution to ALL of these 5c/CCI problems is the creation of a converter that
can connect one of these STB outputs to a MythTV input.

If anyone is interested in a serious dicsussion about one of these
solutions, please email me off-list.

Thanks,

Joe

------=_Part_5443_16955589.1193065542342

As many of you know, I have been working with insight Digital cable here in Northern KY to determine why some MythTV users cannot view certain digital channels via the firewire connection despite the channels NOT being 5C encrypted.
After an extensive discussion, Josh did run this problem up the command
chain at Insight Communications. The end result was that the did agree
to change the CCI bit on my two problem channels that are free to OTA back to
0x00 (Should happen at 2AM EST 10/22/07). However they are not going to
turn it off on the premium channels. Josh was careful in his wording,
so I am sure this is due to pressure from the content producers to keep
some form of copy protection in place. I would encourage anyone who cannot tune in a non-premium channel 9anything on your basic teir or that&#39;s free OTA) to contact your cable company, make them aware of the FCC violation that is and request they fix it.

------=_Part_5443_16955589.1193065542342--