[mythtv-users] need help with my irblaster.info irblaster w. lirc/MythTV

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Sun Sep 30 20:15:52 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 30/09/2007, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
>> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>> You need to make sure that lirc_serial was compiled with the
>>> '--with-transmitter' option, and that you are calling irsend with the
>>> correct lircd socket (the '--device' option).
>>>
>> Okay, I haven't investigated whether or not lirc_serial was compiled,
>> and if so whether it was compiled with --with-transmitter, but simply
>> adding the --device option gives me the following:
>>
>> $ irsend --device=/dev/lirc0 SEND_ONCE dish 3
>> irsend: could not connect to socket
>> irsend: Permission denied
>>
>> Does this reveal anything interesting? I do have a functioning
>> /dev/lirc0 and remote receiver setup.
>
> As I said, you want to connect to the lircd socket - probably
> /dev/lircd in your case if you only have one instance of lircd
> running. See http://lirc.org/html/irsend.html for more information.

I do only have one instance running, but for some reason the device is
listed twice for the lircd process within my process listing:

$ ps aux | grep lirc
root      5395  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    13:38   0:00 [lirc_dev]
root      5480  0.0  0.0  14708   668 ?        Ss   13:38   0:00
/usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 --device=/dev/lirc0

using lircd as my device with irsend, I'm back to getting:

$ irsend --device=/dev/lircd SEND_ONCE dish 3
irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE dish 3
irsend: hardware does not support sending

I'll check out the link you sent me as well as looking into the compile
options... Just wanted to get this info to you in the hopes that it will
be illuminating.

Thank you so much for your time!

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
joe at netmusician.org