[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Sep 30 15:43:09 UTC 2007

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 10:06:59AM -0400, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> I'm reconfiguring the layout of a bunch of things at my house,
> post-remodel, and I'm trying to determine the best way to split the
> coax signal among the various destinations.  From the ONT in the
> basement (I have fiber), the signal has to be split for 6
> destinations:
>
> 1. A180 in MythBE computer
> 2. Verizon router (for injecting program data for the STB, I believe)
> 3. STB
> 4. PVR-500 in MythFE computer
> 5. TVs upstairs (this further gets split in attic to go to various
> rooms).  This will only be used until I have time to put in additional
> frontends.
> 6. Kitchen outlet - not sure if this will ever get used, so it could
> be omitted for now.
>
> I'm thinking I want the fewest splits in the paths for the Myth
> connections, right?  Would it make more sense to have a 4-way splitter
> in the basement, the outputs of which go to MythBE, router, upstairs
> rooms, and family room (where the FE and STB are, so there will be one
> more 2-way split there).  Or would it be better to have a 3-way split
> going to MythBE, family room, and the third leg would go to a 2-way
> splitter that goes to router and upstairs?  Or some other
> configuration?

Well, the *optimal* approach is probably to get a commercial 10-port
from someone like Channelmaster or Blonder Tongue and (if necessary)
drive it with an amp, and then home-run all your cabling to it... but
that's the RF-geek approach, and you might not think it worth the
investment.

Cheers,
-- jra