[mythtv-users] huge recorded seek table?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Sep 30 15:42:31 UTC 2007

Anduin Withers wrote:
>> In trying to optimize things, I noticed that my recorded seek table has
>> 1.7 million rows.  Is that normal?
>>

> Previously asked and answered, search the archives for more details (yes it
> is probably normal).

Figured as much, but I wanted to make sure.  I guess I should have added
to the initial post that I had searched the archives but, either I
wasn't using the right search phrase (too specific?) or something, but I
wasn't sure the answer I found applied to the current release of mythtv
that I have installed (atrpms), and the answer(s) I did find seemed
ambiguous.

However, thanks for answering nonetheless! :)

I'm leaning towards upgrading the backend system to help improve
performance.  I was looking at the DB because it was taking several
seconds to bring up the recordings page, and, in some cases, it would
take 15 seconds (or more) to navigate through the recordings.

Granted, my backend server is using 7200rpm IDE drives for the
recordings directory, and I've got 5 tuners on it (three PVR-150's and
the two tuners from an HDHomeRun), 3 frontends, and I run mythcommflag
after the recording completes.  I'm suspecting that it is just too much
for the AMD64 3400+.. sar's not showing a lot of I/O contention all of
the time, but it does creep in there, and the load average hovers
between idle and ~80% (at times).  I haven't even attempted transcoding
the HD streams yet.

-Rich