[mythtv-users] Kudos and mythtv-users culture

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Fri Sep 28 20:08:05 UTC 2007

On 28 Sep 2007 at 13:41, Bill Barowy wrote:

---snip---

> IMHO bottom posting is really not all that convenient as a norm.  I use kmail
> for a client, and since I'm usually following a thread anyway, it becomes a
> pain to rescan through text already sent to find the next contribution,
> *especially if entire messages are quoted*.  I find it more convenient to
> read top posters -- but it's even better when a *relevant* short quote of the
> prior message is referenced at the bottom.

And therein lies the crux of the biscuit!

Folks should not be quoting entire messages, rather they should trim their
quotes leaving only the parts that they are specifically replying to, just like I
did here.

You didn't have to read through Bills entire post to find my little contribution
here, but I included the part of his post that was relevant to my reply and only
that part) for a couple of reasons:

1. Even if you are following this thread, Bill might have posted his comments
days or weeks ago, and by quoting part of it I just refreshed your memory.

2. If you were not following this thread, then without the quote you would not
know what I was replying to.

As for top posting... it's evil. We read from top to bottom. It's akin to reading
the last chapter of a novel first.

Marvin