[mythtv-users] Remote control setup problem

Nan Null hovh03 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 16:10:15 UTC 2007

I bought a USB IR receiver/remote here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=160157510558

You can see the picture of it there.

Under Mythdora, a couple of buttons works. I want to configure it to work
with the rest of the buttons.

Problems:

1) >irrecord /dev/lircd /home/mythtv/myfile (running as root), I got:

irrecord: could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check permissions)

>ls /dev/lirc*

lircd

2) I can't stop the lircd:

/etc/init.d/lircd stop

I got a failed message. Also failed when shutting down the computer.

killproc lircd fails.  Could be killproc is not available? (man killproc not found)

I write a little C program, and all it does is read in a character, and then prints
out the ASCII in hex.  I was able to read a majority of the buttons.  Strange that some
buttons give me a same code.  Some buttons give me a bunch of characters (such as up button
would give me 1B 5B 41).  The fast forward and fast reverse give me 2 and 6 which is the
same as next, previous button respectively.

Anyway, it's best if I can get these two problem resolved.  It appears that it's almost there
, just something a bit off.