[mythtv-users] Still having problems scanning channels... or am I?
Harry Devine
lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 28 00:57:12 UTC 2007
Brian Walter wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Brian L. Walter wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Harry Devine wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> I started a thread about a month ago concerning not being able to get
>>>> any channels when I scan. Well, I get some, but they are all listed
>>>> strangely to me. I get channels such as 79#0, 79#1, etc.
>>>>
>>>> So tonight I was looking at some info on the HDHomerun since I see alot
>>>> of posts about it on this list, in case I wanna add one to my setup. I
>>>> went to the following page, and saw that the 79#0, etc. actually MEAN
>>>> something in my setup:
>>>> http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui?Cmd=LocationProgramsWeb&Country=US&Postcode=08234
>>>>
>>>> I guess what I'm getting at is that can I assume that my channels are
>>>> actually getting scanned properly and just aren't in a format that I can
>>>> understand? Do I need to use the channel editor to map them over to
>>>> channels that I'm used to seeing (Channel 6, Channel 10, etc.)?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Harry
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Harry,
>>>
>>> The short answer is yes.
>>>
>>> The slightly longer answer - Some channels are sent with info on them,
>>> for instance, WBZ-DT. These will be added with the name and
>>> description, but you have to map the channels and the xmltvids to
>>> something that SD or whatever your listing source recognizes.
>>>
>>> In mapping the unknowns (74#0), I use a combination of the hdhr config
>>> utility and the frontend to figure out which channel is which. Scanning
>>> will add something like 74#0, but, that does not directly map to
>>> something that hdhr presents. It might be 74.1, or
>>> 74.11....*generally*, it maps them starting at 0, incrementing by one.
>>>
>>> For instance, hdhr presents 74.11, 74.12 and 74.13. Usually this gets
>>> mapped into myth as 74#0, 74#1 and 74#2, *if* myth saw all 3
>>> channels...it may not have, so visually verify them in the frontend.
>>> I've deleted my hdhr sourced and re-added them quite a few times till I
>>> fugured that out.
>>>
>>> HTH.
>>> Brian
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> mythtv-users mailing list
>>> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>>> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> OK, I just started trying to map the HDHomerun lineup frequencies (I
>> don't have an HDHomerun; only a pcHDTV-5500 card, but their lineup for
>> my zipcode is the only source that I've seen where I can see the
>> relationship between the transmitted channel and call-sign) to the
>> channel names/numbers that I'm familiar with, and I want to be sure I'm
>> going about it correctly. I am using the channel editor via MythWeb.
>>
>> delete sourceid xmltvid channum callsign name freqid finetune
>> videofilters brightness contrast colour hue recpriority commfree
>> visible useonairguide
>>
>>
>> 1
>> 1
>> 1
>> 1
>> 1
>>
>>
>> The HDHomerun lineup (via the link above in my original post) shows the
>> following for those channels (I assume):
>> qam256 113 1 WPVIDT 1280x720p
>> 16:9
>>
>> <http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/snapshot_21995.jpg>
>> qam256 113 2 WCAUDT 1920x1080i
>> 16:9
>>
>> <http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/snapshot_20777.jpg>
>> qam256 113 3 WPVIDT2 704x480i
>> 4:3
>>
>> qam256 113 4 WPVIDT3 704x480i
>> 4:3
>>
>> qam256 113 5 WCAUDT2 640x480i
>> 640x480p
>> 4:3
>>
>>
>> Do I have to do anything with the finetune column? I just want to make
>> sure that what I'm assuming is correct. Also, the HDHomerun lineup
>> shows alot of 8VSB channels, but when I scan for channels in Myth, I
>> don't get any of these. Only these digital, unencrypted ones (like
>> 79#0, etc.).
>>
>> Thanks alot for all of the help.
>> Harry
>> _______________________________________________
>>
>>
> Harry,
>
> You don't have to do anything to the other columns.
>
> Lets take 79#0 as an example.
>
> We've discovered, via tuning it by some method (frontend or other
> utility), that it is NBC-DT for your area.
>
> What I do in this case is the following via mythweb:
>
> 1) Change the xmltvid from blank to the correct value from my schedule
> provider
> 2) Change the channum to the channel number from my schedule provider
> (for the sake of illustration 79#0->4.1)
> 3) Change the call sign to the appropriate value (again, for the sake of
> illustration UNKOWN79#0->WBZ-DT)
> 4) Change the Frequency from 79 to the channel number from my schedule
> provider (79->804).
>
> Save the changes.
>
> In the case where the scan identifies the channel correctly, I need to
> only do steps 1 and 4 from above.
>
> HTW
>
> Brian
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
If I look at my SchedulesDirect lineup and hover over a channel, is the
number that comes up the xmltvid? For example, my local ABC is channel
6. When I hover over it, it shows a value of 11794. Is this what I put
into the xmltvid column for that channel in MythWeb or the Channel Editor?
Thanks,
Harry
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list