[mythtv-users] Drop the Box - For all Canadian Users

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 20:36:58 UTC 2007

> Gabriel A. Devenyi wrote:
> > As Canadian users know, for the most part we are unable to receive HD
> signals
> > without the use of a cable company's set-top box. The CRTC has an
> upcoming
> > hearing regarding digital cable distribution in Canada, and there is a
> > movement to make digital cable signals more accessible, which would of
> course
> > be beneficial for all Mythtv users.
> >
> > The campaign's organizing website is http://dropthebox.ca/ lets free the
> HD!
> >
> I'm in a good spot, I get 4 or 5 Canadian HD stations OTA, and 6 or 7 US
> HD stations OTA, the only thing I REALLY wish I could get OTA is
> DiscoveryHD... :)

Let me guess, Toronto? :)  Unfortunately, Gabriel's post is true for most of
the rest of Canada:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/hdtv/idx/0/426/article/Canadian_OTA_HD_Channel_Lineup.html

Basically, unless you live in Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, or Vancouver,
you're boned, and most of those aforementioned cities only have 1 or 2 OTA
HD stations available, with the exception of Toronto.

Brett.