[mythtv-users] Slow myth TV user interface on a fast machine

Todd mythtv at vbref.org
Thu Sep 27 18:38:55 UTC 2007

Greetings,

Long time Linux user, but I'm relatively new to mythtv having used it
for a little over 2 months.  I built my first box 2 months ago, and
just re-built it with a new hard drive a few days ago so I've been
through the process twice now.

The problem I'm having is with performance of this brand new machine
(both before and after the rebuild).  Despite this being the newest
and most powerful box in the house, the mythtv menus just seem to
DRAAAAAAAAG.  Responsiveness is quite frustrating I'm afraid.  I'm
navigating via keyboard as I haven't sussed out the remote control
bits just yet.

Hardware: AMD A64 3500+  socket AM2  Athlon 64 512kb cache
          Asus M2N-E motherboard, 1G RAM, 320G SATA HD, xfs for my
          recordings partition
Video card: cheapie PCI (gads) nVidia GeForce FX5200 based Conquerer
        FX5100Plus video card feeding a 19" CRT monitor.
Capture: Old cheap analog Norwood Micro S800 TV tuner using tips at
        http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5571 got it working.
        It's being fed analog cable via co-ax, no HD involved.
Software:  Ubuntu Feisty base, then followed these, except using schedules direct:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Feisty

The box is doing nothing but Myth and Ubuntu and sits in my living
room.  The myth menus are what I'd say is extremely slow when it's
recording something (20 seconds for some operations), and quite slow
when it's not (e.g. hit an arrow key in the media library menuand wait
3-8 seconds for a response).

Any advice as to what to check, what to tweak, or whether the myth
interface is just rather slow would be helpful!  The box seems
responsive otherwise --just myth seems really slow, and I can't figure
out why.

Thanks for any assistance!

Todd