[mythtv-users] ivtv lockups - how do I uninstall the driver?

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:48:03 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/27/07, Steve MacLaren <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2-3 times a week, mythbackend.log fills up with "ivtv driver not
> > responding", while /var/log/messages fills up with ivtv DMA
> errors.  This
> > causes my backend to completely lock up - no ssh, no ctl-alt-del, no
> > response to anything other than the reset button.
> >
> > I would very much like to update the ivtv driver version - I have 0.10.1
> > that came with Ubuntu Feisty.  The only problem is I have not been able
> > un-install the current driver.  The Ubuntu package manager allows
> > un-installation of something called "ivtv-utils", but after removing
> that,
> > the ivtv 0.10.1 driver still loads.
> >
> > Unfortunately, neither the howto at ivtvdriver.org, or help.ubuntu.com
> > discuss un-installation.  I'm guessing I need to go and manually delete
> some
> > files from the morass in /lib/modules/ , but I have no idea which
> ones.  I
> > would appreciate any insight...
> >
> > Also, it was suggested on the ivtv-users list that the specific DMA
> error
> > fixes are in the v4l-dvb repository at linuxtv.org.  While the ivtv
> driver
> > downloads had installation instructions, the downloads from
> > http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/ do not.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > --
> >

> IVTV is now included with the kernel, you can't uninstall it. You'll
> need to build your kernel from scratch to get the result you're
> looking for.
>
> From the looks of it though it sounds like you've got a problem with
> something other than IVTV, maybe a VIA chipset?

My motherboard is an Infinity NF ULTRAII-M2.  According to the
manufacturer's website, the chipset is an NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra.

Basically, I'm going from a number of other posts to the ivtv-users' list
complaining of DMA errors, with the recommendation being to upgrade the
driver to a non-faulty version.

Sigh... so I guess my choices are to live with the lockups, or to learn how
to build and upgrade a kernel from scratch, separately from my Ubuntu and
Mythtv releases?  Search this list for "kernel upgrade", and the result is a
wasteland strewn with driver, application, and OS nightmares...

Is there a way to re-create the Feisty kernel (2.6.20-16) with the only
change being the ivtv driver?