[mythtv-users] New frontend, wrong picture size

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 27 07:18:53 UTC 2007

On 09/26/2007 07:06 PM, robl wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 09/24/2007 06:01 PM, robl wrote:
>>> I've added a new mythtv frontend to my existing system, however when
>>> watching live tv the picture doesn't fill the screen and I end up with
>>> black borders around the picture.  The TV is in 16:9 aspect ratio mode
>>> and the same video works perfectly on the other frontend.  The mythtv
>>> menu screens fill the screen perfectly, so it just seems to be an issue
>>> whilst watching live/recorded tv.  Can anybody tell me how I can watch
>>> 'fullscreen' live tv  (or what might be causing the problem) ?
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards
> Thanks for the links, I'm working my way through them although I'm not
> sure they'll necessarily help as the GUI is displaying fine (which is
> what most of these links seem to try and fix), it's the playback of
> video that isn't sized correctly.

The GUI is created to take up the full screen, and full screen is full
screen regardless of what physical size X may think the screen is.  The
video is played back at the proper aspect ratio defined by the video
itself, but /only/ if X is provided the proper information to determine
the physical size of the display (most importantly, the relative sizes
of the 2 axes of the display).  The above links will provide information
you can use to properly configure X and then video playback will be done
with proper aspect ratio.

Mike