[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 27 03:15:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:33:32PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> What about coax/antenna amps?  Anyone have any recommendations?
> Neither my cable feed nor my antenna have enough oomph to give a usable
> signal after being combined into single coax.

You shouldn't be combining incoming CATV with incoming OTA (probably at
all; certainly without amplifiers and a directional coupler).  If you
just tie them together, you're leaking CATV out the antenna, and you
are very likely to receive a fairly prompt visit from the FAA.

No, I didn't hit the wrong key; CATV has a visual carrier fairly close
to the 121.5 aviation emergency frequency; the FAA sometimes
investigates such issues personally; sometimes they call the FCC EIC
for the district.

In any event, if I understood you correctly... don't.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra