[mythtv-users] SD Program Info Problems

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Sep 26 20:30:11 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Shawn Flynn
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 12:49 PM
To: 'Discussion about mythtv'
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SD Program Info Problems

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Jon
Sent: September 25, 2007 11:46 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv

wrote:

> [...]
Lucy...looking
default

Bart,
The
oct 8...
on fox,

>>> Your listing provider does not have any episode-specific information
about those
>>> showings. Not much you can do about that. You can, however, choose
either record
>>> or not record the generic episodes. I believe by default they will
record.

>> Is anyone else having this issue????
>> this never happened once with zap 2 it, and now i have 4 shows like
>> this. -Steve
>>
> While you may not have experienced it, I have seen this behavior with
zap2it as
> well... but I'm curious as to how you set it to not record
> generics.....

I get this a lot with older syndicated shows that are shown multiple times a
day on some stations. It has been this way for as long as Z2L has been
around. If the station gives TMS the specific episode information then TMS
will display a good description, otherwise they will display a generic
episode. Luckily Mythtv understands 'generic episodes' and we can choose not
to record them. For 0.20.2-fixes, I use a Power Search rule to record all
episodes of 'Roseanne' that are not listed as a generic episode. The search
phrase of the rule is...

   program.title = 'Roseanne' AND program.generic = 0

Power Search rules really are an amazing function of mythtv and are on of
the 'killer features' that I show off whenever somebody asks my about my
system (Big thanks to all the devs).  One of my favourite rules is the one I
use to catch the latest season of Doctor Who and many of the other
international or cable network shows which get their Canadian debut three or
more months after their original air date. 'Record new episodes only'
completely misses these shows, but a Power Search like...

   program.title = 'Doctor Who' AND program.originalairdate >
SUBDATE(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 3 MONTH)

...catches these shows perfectly for me. Try doing _that_ with your cable
company PVR.

Shawn Flynn

It was my understanding that there are only a few companies out there that
put together this data and sell it to cable companies, tivo, etc.....so how
then can zap 2 it run a business selling this data when there is this much
data that is missing. You would think that their big customers would not
accept that. I have a time warner cable box at home, and if you go on it,
all the episode data that is missing in my mythbox is in the time warner box
just fine.

We myth users must be getting shorted here somewhere. What company would pay
for data that is bad?

-Steve