[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 26 17:21:24 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2007, at 7:33 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Wonder what they use on those ATMs (bank machine, not a network
>> protocol) that use dialups? I read somewhere that folks were putting
>> recorders on the lines but I suspect that's apocryphal.
>
> The internals of convenience store ATMs are mostly ordinary PC
> components.  The keypad, bill dispenser, and touchscreen are the only
> really unusual parts.
>
> A recorder on the line won't do much good.  Modern ATMs encrypt the
> PIN *in the keypad* -- it's not even available to the host OS in
> unencrypted form.

I figured that nobody would be stupid enough to transmit anything
"usable" over a phone line.

I don't doubt that some idiots tried to record the transaction, but I'm
sure it was of no use to them.

The Science Center at Liberty State Park in NJ has a transparent ATM,
made of 1" thick plexiglass. It actually works, and the last time I was
there it didn't even charge a fee.

Part of the "show kids how things in their world work" program, which I
think is great.

beww