[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

ross camm rossco at whyza.net
Tue Sep 25 23:34:25 UTC 2007

I am also in Brisbane, just across the river from you in Fairfield.

I assume you are going to use DVB ?

I use 4 separate USB tuners, and as such have purchased a 30db RF amp
from Jaycar, and it works well in conjunction with splitters. I also
needed some attenuators  as the output from the amp was too high, which
has the bonus of allowing more splitters in the future if required.

Before I had the RF amp, I certainly had signal strength issues. Now all
is good.

I have found a masthead amp is NOT required, as DVB is not as
susceptible to noise as analogue, so amplifying the noise as well as the
signal has not given me issues.

I have a nova-t-usb and can pickup SBS ok.

SBS is usually the lowest signal strength, as such I use it for all my
testing...if SBS works, all other channels will be ok I have found.

Hope this helps.