[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 25 22:20:54 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:

> By now you have read the other responses and you may get lucky but if
> your existing provider has locked the box with a password then you will
> be forced to upgrade since the new guys cannot access your box. Plus
> later generations of modems seem to produce better speeds due to
> improved adaptive cancelation etc...
>
> PS - For me the Extreme DSL 6.0 blows away my old Comcrap cable modem.
> Almost 150Kbps faster on all my performance tests. Plus they have a
> newsgroup server that carries all the channels including the binarys.
> Good retention too.  Saves me another $30/month not having to keep a
> giganews account active.

What about the outbound speed? My problem with cable or DSL is that they
seem to be oriented towards consumers who want to DL a lot of data but
only send out the odd mouse click or perhaps a filled-in form.

Since I run servers I want fast outbound speed. I presently have 3Mb
inbound and 1Mb outbound on a "business" connection, but I'd like to
have better upload speed, which my cable operator presently claims they
can't give me.

Obviously the answer would be a T1, but that $400/month charge holds me
back.

beww