[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

Joe Votour vulturej at vulturesnest.net
Tue Sep 25 21:27:42 UTC 2007

Quoting Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com>:

> i'm actually going to get cable service :D
> and in the process i'm switching my Internet provider as well.  i have
> a cable modem that is ~3 years old; works fine, i have had relatively
> few issues with it.  is there any point in upgrading to a more recent
> cable modem?

<snip>

For now, if you can afford the $50, I would purchase a DOCSIS 2.0
cable modem.  DOCSIS is a standard (a laughable one, but I digress),
and a DOCSIS cable modem should work with 99.99% of cable operators
out there (at least in the USA).  I'm surprised that DOCSIS 1.1 has
been obsoleted in some places, but as those old Cisco UBRs die and get
replaced...

DOCSIS 2.0 is not likely to be obsoleted soon, as the DOCSIS 3.0
specification, as far as I know, is far from complete.  Once it is
ratified, and cable operators start using DOCSIS 3.0 headend
equipment, then you'll likely have to buy a new cable modem.  (One of
the main features of DOCSIS 3.0 is channel bonding, which allows the
modem to see more than 6MHz of channel spectrum - the hardware in
DOCSIS 2.0 modems will not allow for this.)

-- Joe

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com