[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu or Ubuntu Alternate for RAID?

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:44:20 UTC 2007

> I'd put enough of the system to boot up and run the basics on a "normal"
> drive partition. If you need RAID0 for some reason (capacity or access
> speed) you can then mount a RAID0 partition someplace and use that.
>
> You're just asking for trouble IMHO to put the entire system on a RAID0
> array, you want the system to be able to come up with an absolute
> minimum of things working.

I agree... the entire system on RAID0 is asking for trouble.  If you
have at least 2 drives and you're using mdadm, you can RAID1 your
system partition, and then RAID0 your storage partition. That way if a
drive fails, you can still boot it from the other working drive
(automagically).

If your kernel doesn't have md-RAID1 support built-in, you'll need to
use an initrd image that has RAID support.  Building the initrd with
the proper module support can sometimes be as simple as running
'mkinitrd'.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Ubuntu or Mythbuntu... but
they are both Linux, so what you want is possible.  I found this site
very helpful:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID

--
Joe Ripley