[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome wakes up the backend

MartinG gronslet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 09:22:47 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Your problem appears to be that you overlooked setting up MythWelcome on the
> BE.  I expect you'll find that when you run
>         # mythwelcome -s
> on the BE that the setting for nvram-wakeup command is still
> /usr/bin/nvram-wakeup and needs to be changed to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/alarm-
> script.sh.  Don't forget you have two separate systems being shut down and
> each needs to be told how to do it.

Thanks. I somewhat thought that the settings in mythwelcome -s was
propagated into the mysql database and was only meant for the master
backend only. I understand that it is not so, as one might want to
shut down individual FE as well. Now I have configurered the BE
accordingly.

> While you're at it, consider what you want the system to do when it wakes
> up.  As you have them currently configured, when the BE wakes up it won't
> shut down until someone runs mythfrontend (on either box) manually because:
> I set my system up to *not* "Block shutdown before client connected" because

OK, I might consider to do the same, once I got the other stuff
working - thanks.

> I have my system waking up to do recordings at all hours of the day and
> night and to run mythfilldatabase and I want it to go back to sleep without
> requiring my attention.  If you tried going the other way and set
> "Automatically start" to yes, you're still stuck because it won't shut down
> while a front end session is running.

I'm still confused. I thought it would be possible to have the FE to
be on at all times, staying in the mythwelcome screen. That is what I
want - my girlfriend should be able to press "Start Frontend" from the
remote, wait a couple of minutes for the BE to start, and then watch
liveTV.

I still have the problem that the FE will try to wake the BE
immediately after the BE shuts down. How can I avoid that?

best regards
MartinG