[mythtv-users] Mythcommflag is off by one

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Sep 25 01:26:40 UTC 2007

* On Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 06:07:37PM -0500, Craig Huff wrote:
> Don't think I have run transcode.  Yet. ;-)
>
> So, how would you recommend fixing them?

You'd want this:

ionice -n 7 nice -n 20 mythcommflag -j %JOBID% -V %VERBOSELEVEL%

That would run the normal JobQueue's normal mythcommflag
command with the preceeding nice and ionice.  The JobQueue will
already nice jobs if you set the JobQueue CPU usage setting to
LOW, and mythcommflag will go a step beyond that and will sleep a
little every frame when set to this LOW value, so your "nice"
isn't really required.  The JobQueue does use a nice(17) though,
so your 20 is a little better but unless you set the CPU usage
setting to LOW, mythcommflag will still run full-bore when it can.
People with software encoders have seen issues even when running
niced, so when set to LOW, the flagger will sleep a little between
each frame to be extra-nice. :)

If you want to ionice mythtranscode, you need to use something like
this:

ionice -n 7 nice -n 20 mythtranscode -j %JOBID% -V %VERBOSELEVEL% -p autodetect -l

The "-p autodetect" and "-l" values are optional and whether you use
them or not depends on what profile you want to use to transcode and
whether you want to apply the cutlist or not.

Here's another thread I replied to about the values in these command
settings in the past couple days.  In the example in this thread, I
show using the chanid and starttime because the wrapper script is
calling mythcommflag twice.  In  your case, you can use the %JOBID%
because you're only calling mythcommflag once.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/291537#291537

--
Chris