[mythtv-users] MythMusic: rebuild music database?

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:37:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:05:25PM +0200, Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:
> matthew.garman at gmail.com skrev:
> > I have all my CDs ripped to flac and stored on an NFS share.
> > All the tags were created from freedb.org, so there were quite a
> > few inconsistencies (e.g. variations on a band's name, extra
> > spaces, etc).
> >
> > I finally got around to making all the tags consistent.
> >
> May I ask how you went about to make things consistent?  Tools,
> scripts, tips etc would be very much appreciated.

It was a mostly manual process, but quite simple.  All I really did
was make the artist/band names consistent.  I did it all with the
tool "metaflac" (and standard shell commands).

My music is organized like this:


So I cd to /media/music/flac, then do this:

    for i in */*/*.flac ; do 
        metaflac --show-tag=ARTIST $i >> artists.txt;

Then I could browse through the file "artists.txt" and look for
stuff that was inconsistent.

Once I found something that I wanted to fix, I'd cd to the
artist_name folder, then do something like this:

    for i in */*.flac ; do 
        metaflac --remove-tag=ARTIST $i;

Followed by:

    for i in */*.flac ; do 
        metaflac --set-tag=ARTIST="New Consistent Artist Name" $i;

That's basically all I did.  Took a while, but from the flac files I
generate MP3s for my iPod, so I re-generated the all the MP3s after
fixing the flac files.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list