[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 24 18:50:38 UTC 2007

Brett Kosinski wrote:

> Well, this is getting a bit afield, but...
>
> Don't mistake the Windows registry implementation with the concept,
> itself, of a centralized, consistent (in the sense that it's a
> consistent format with a known layout) configuration database.  IMHO,
> the concept isn't necessarily a bad one.  The Windows implementation of
> it, however... well, that's another story entirely. :)

True, Microsoft could probably screw up the implementation of the wheel
or fire.

> Personally, I'd love to do away with the myriad config files and formats
> littered all over my machine.  Heck, it could be something as simple as
> an API that layered over a standard filesystem, producing text-based
> configuration files of a known format, using a well-understood directory
> structure.  This makes things user-editable, scalable, consistent, and
> transparent.  It'll never happen, but it's a nice dream. :)

True I guess. The Unix config files do in fact show their age and varied
heritage. I suppose something like Webmin attempts to hide the config
files from the user and present a consistent interface. I've never liked
it much but I know a lot of folks do.

I guess we're all comfortable with "what we're used to", and we all
resist change.

beww