[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:29:32 UTC 2007

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 12:47:09PM +0200, lionel dybowski wrote:
> > We are here for *political *reasons: *we want linux*, not windows. *It
> > is political, not technology issue!!!!!!!*
>
> It's not political for me.
>
> I want *reliability*.  Unix, and thereby Linux, has it.  Windows just
> doesn't.

And I want power and flexibility.  Unix, and thereby Linux, has that.
Windows definitely doesn't (when was the last time you tried to script
something on Windows without installing Cygwin, Perl, or some other free
tool, first?).

Still not politics.

What I find immensely strange, though, is that this is the second time, now,
that folks complaining on the list have made the assertion that people pick
Linux, or free software, because it's "free", and not because it just
happens to be the best tool for the job.  Which might explain the
complaining (these folks are choosing Myth for ideological reasons, instead
of picking the tool which best suits their own skillset and requirements,
and then expecting said tool to bend to their whims).

'course, these are probably the same people who coined acronyms like "FLOSS"
(god I hate that one), and insist that everything must be GPL'd or the world
will come to an end. :)

Brett.