[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Mon Sep 24 10:40:07 UTC 2007

During my work, I have seen issues changing from one Intel card, to another Intel card of the same model, on both Microsoft and Linux OS's. If you are considering card failures I would recommend against the Intel branded cards (LSI cards themselves are OK, it just appears to be the Intel firmware).
  With the Intel cards, if a disk fails, you should ensure that the array has properly rebuilt as well, would strongly recommend parity verification.
  We have never had problems with 3ware cards, either with disks failing, or replacement cards and recovery of existing arrays.
  The only time I have had an issue with a 3ware card, is when some single disk arrays (JBOD) were created, on a card with a BBU, then all of the disks were swapped out for new disks. The card got a bit confused and thought that the single disk arrays had gone bad. This was fixed by resetting the BBU and the card was happy again with no settings lost.
  Gareth

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
  On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Roo wrote:

> Is this only with 3ware cards or do most vendors have this
> compatibility?

According to the tomshardware test, all intel chipset raid controllers
behave the same way, so ICH7, ICH8 and ICH9 are all compatible (well, they
only tested upgrade to newer hw though).

Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike at swm.pp.se