[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 22 18:51:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 11:32:33AM -0500, Brian Foddy wrote:
> I'll look into it.  I'm starting to see some limitations to my
> original thinking.  First, not sure LVM will allow me to expand the
> physical volumes, which is I think what would be happening. There is a
> lot more here than I expected....

You're not supposed to expand LVM physical volumes, you create new ones
and add them to the volume group. Make sure you create partitions on the
array, don't pvcreate it as a whole disk. After expanding the array the
disk (/dev/sda or whatever) should have free space at the end. You would
create another partition in the new space, pvcreate it, and extend the
volume group on to it.

Michael Heironimus