[mythtv-users] New Guy Says What?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 22 05:34:56 UTC 2007

On 09/21/2007 12:26 PM, chris at idlelion.net wrote:
> From: "Mitch Gore" <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>
>>> Issue 1: I can see a picture on all the local digital stations.
>>> However, video playback is really slow, like 3 to 5 frames per second
>>> on HD content; 8 to 12 on SD. The CPU is pegged as well, making me
>>> think MythTV isn't using accelerated playback.
>> 1.7Ghz is going to be pushing it with HD.  You will most likely need to
>> upgrade.  A better video card (nvidia 5200 or 6200) would help if you
>> configure XvMC but even then its really close.  I once got HD working on
>> a Athlon 1800 but just barely and ended up upgraded for a better user
>> experience
>> See here for more info:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV
> Thanks Mitch! This page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC seems to
> show a 1GHz Thunderbird playing just fine using a GeForce 4MX. I'll look
> into upgrading the video card, but my machine should also take a 2.8GHz P4
> or even a 3.06GHz HT P4, but the latter are still pricey.
> Seems like my 3Ti just won't cut it.

IIRC it only does Motion Compensation with XvMC, so the proc still has
to do iDCT (which is the harder part).  GF4 and above do both.  I'd
recommend a GF6x00 or better so it's supported longer (GF4 is already a
legacy GPU).

However, IMHO, if you're not doing software decoding (i.e. all on the
CPU), you lose too much useful functionality, so I'd recommend upgrading
the CPU.

>>> Issue 2: No sound at all from MythTV but sound works in other
>>> applications. OpenArena works perfectly.
>> check you playback settings.  If i remember correctly its in
>> Setup>Playback>TV playback or something like that.  You may need to
>> configure you sound to use the right output (OSS, ALSA, Spdif etc.)
>> Scroll through the options till you find one that works.
> Excellent. Will try this tonight.

I'm guessing it's an issue with a misconfigured ALSA.