[mythtv-users] OT Help: mdadm segfault

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 18:09:07 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are some useful debugging tips here:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=505361
>
> especially post #5
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showpost.php?p=2557045&postcount=5
>
> John
>
> Thanks for the link.  Yes, when I physically unplug the SATA power
connector to any one of the drives and restart, I see similar complaints in
dmesg about "dirty" arrays.

I have had a miserable week and have not been able to really sit down and
troubleshoot my myth backend further.  Hopefully this weekend...
What is really, really maddening is that on boot, the system will assemble
any combination of 3 of the 4 drives (by physically disconnecting the power
connector to any one drive), and then complain about degradation due to the
missing disk.  It doesn't matter which drive I disconnect; I've tried all 4.
But when I try to assemble the full array, either manually or on boot, the
system reboots.  It reboots on assembly - I don't even get a chance to try
and mount the thing.  I've replaced the power supply and pulled out
everything (cards, drives, fans) except for the system HD, graphics card,
and the SATA drives.  Since I'm now convinced it's not a power draw issue, I
just can't image what it is about assembling the full array that triggers a
reboot.

But it looks like I will just have to ignore the obvious contradictions and
forge ahead trying to mount and access a 3-drive array by messing with
/sys/block/md0/md/array_state, then wiping and re-adding the fourth drive...