[mythtv-users] mpeg2 to audio conversion

Jon Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 20 15:23:59 UTC 2007

David Watkins wrote:
> On 20/09/2007, M L Truscott <mltruscott at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> I have some mpeg2 files from dvb radio I'd like to strip the video stream from
>> and store as oggs/mp3s.
>>
>> Any one know of a way of doing it?
>>

> I've used this in the past to strip audio to a wav.  Should be easy
> enough to get to mp3 or ogg from there.
>
> mplayer infile.mpg -vo null -ao pcm:file=outfile.wav

The following ffmpeg command will capture audio from an mpeg2 source and
save it as low-bitrate mp3. It is optimized for voice, so if your radio
recordings are music you should raise the -ab and -ar values to 192 (in
kbits) and 44100 in Hz), and remove the '-ac 1' option.

ffmpeg -v quiet -y -i infile -ab 32 -acodec mp3 -ar 22050 -ac 1 outfile.mp3

Jon