[mythtv-users] British vs. American English (was MythTV requires a better name)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 20 04:49:54 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Tom Lichti wrote:
>> overtake = pass
> Another favorite of mine is "undertaking," which I've gathered from  
> context means passing on the side meant for slower traffic.  (The  
> left side in Britain, or the right side in the U.S.)  It sounds so  
> morbid.  I'm not aware of any special word for this action in  
> American English.

Well I have heard it used in Ontario. It is especially evocative, since 
if done with sufficient elan, the person doing the undertaking does not 
thereby become the undertaker, he just needs one!

A few years ago, in heavy traffic, I blocked a guy in a pickup, from 
passing me on the right at the end of an on-ramp merge, by pulling over 
so he could not pass between my car and the guard rail. He actually 
nudged me at one point. He was screaming and shaking his fist at me and 
blowing the horn. This was fine, since it brought his activities to the 
notice of the policeman in the unmarked car, just ahead of me (a Q-car, 
if anyone wants another entry to the two countries rent by a language 
thread). Where the guardrail ended, the yobo (another entry) pulled out 
and 'undertook' me on the gravel shoulder...and made it about 3 car 
lengths further on, before the policeman turned on all the nice little 
flashing lights which he had to play with. Cop gave *me* a big smile!


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list