[mythtv-users] anomalies encountered updating to/for Schedules Direct

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 20 00:40:21 UTC 2007

On 09/19/2007 12:25 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> Thanks for your help.
> | On 09/18/2007 02:17 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | > 2) It wasn't obvious to me how to delete an individual Video source in
> | >    mythtvsetup.  I've since learned that, in the Video sources screen,
> | >    if you move the cursor to the source that you wish to delete, you
> | >    can type "d" to request to delete it.  Is this documented
> | >    somewhere?
> | >   
> | 
> | You shouldn't delete the video source to switch to Schedules Direct. 
> | See http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.3 .  Doing so was
> | your first mistake and caused all the other issues in 3-5...
> That turns out not to be the case.  I did not delete the video source.
> I added a new one.

The point was you don't want to use a different video source.  You want
to use the one you had already (properly) configured.

> | > 3) I left Zap2it as a source and added SchedulesDirect as a new source.  
> | >    I then switched all my Input connections to use Schedules Direct 
> | >    instead of Zap2it.  This seems reasonable: during the transition 
> | >    period, I'd like to be able to go back to Zap2it.
> | >
> | >    I ran into a problem that I think is related to this.  After
> | >    apparently working for a couple of weeks, my guide information
> | >    stopped at 8PM last night.  I tried all sorts of variations on
> | >    mythfilldatabase to try to fix it.  Even though Zap2it was not used
> | >    by any input connection, and Schedules Direct was being used, the
> | >    Zap2it failure apparently blocked guide updating (even though the log
> | >    seemed to show Schedules Direct processing).  I edited the Zap2it
> | >    source to actually use Schedules Direct.  Once that was done, the
> | >    guide was correctly populated.
> Yesterday I changed the video source named zap2it to actually use
> Schedules direct.  That appears to be what fixed the problem reported
> in (3).  But I don't see why.

You should really do the delete all as creating the new video source and
adding channels to it may have corrupted your configuration.  The best
way to know what's actually there is to start with nothing and add to it.

If someone gives me an MS Word document to format, the first thing I do
is save as plain text and start formatting from scratch.  That way I
don't have to waste time figuring out what formatting I have to undo
before I figure out what formatting to do.  The same applies here--start
from nothing...


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list