[mythtv-users] Our Only Option is Schedule Direct?

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Wed Sep 19 17:18:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:52:04 -0700
David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2007, at 5:53 PM, B Walker wrote:
<snip>

> > The original point I was trying to make is *if* someone makes a
> > scraper that converted data to XMLTV format without any mention of
> > where that data came from, trying to hold the end user liable for
> > that would be like holding end users liable for patent infringment
> > of software.  "but you bought the software, it's your computer,
> > you should have known"...yeah right.  The author would be the
> > target.
>
> Isn't that the whole point that people have been trying to make?
> That by discussing this here, you may be putting the MythTV
> developers at risk of being sued?

It's not the point that you appear to think it is.  You seem to be confusing MythTV developers with the people who write screen scrapers that create XMLTV files.  The MythTV developers have no liability for how XMLTV import is used any more than they have liability if someone records programs on a MythTV system and redistributes them. Nor are they liable for postings on this public list, if they were it would be moderated or at least the self appointed 'moderators' would have the ability to do actually do something (ban users for example).