[mythtv-users] MythTV requires a better name

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:08:03 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Barry Roberts <manithree at gmail.com> wrote:
> My sister "Tivo's" all her television.  I "Netflick" all my movies.   Today
> as I was talking about a PBS show that airs at 3:00 am I unwittingly told
> someone that i "Myth'ed" it.  They were thoroughly confused, thinking I had
> "missed" it.
>
> Trendy verbification is absolutely essential for mass adoption of
> entertainment technology.  It is now clear to me that the largest barrier to
> MythTV growth is nomenclature.  Therefore, I humbly submit the following
> alternate names for MythTV, with the litmus test being how it sounds in the
> sentence "I _____'ed the latest episode of [favorite show here]."  Removal
> of the TV suffix is acceptable, for example, "I Bantha'd the latest episode
> of  Red Dwarf".
>

> BanthaTV
> GrokTV
> RipTV
> ShiftTV
> SuckTV
> FroobTv
>
> But seriously, Myth rocks.  It really did inadvertently enter my lexicon.
> Kudos to all the devs.
>
> Barry Roberts

Similarly for my family, no one knows or cares with MythTV is. My wife
and I have taken to calling it the "Divo", which of course is Tivo
replaced with the first letter of my first name. I've got some
suggestions below:

Bivo
Civo
Divo
Fivo
Givo
Hivo
Jivo
Kivo
Livo
Mivo
Nivo
Pivo
Qivo
Rivo
Sivo
Vivo
Wivo
Xivo
Yivo
Zivo

Personally, if we're picking new names I'd go with Zivo, but of course
the chances of that happening are smaller than the chances they'll
bring back the ringbuffer ;).

Regards