[mythtv-users] MythTV requires a better name

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 19 14:24:29 UTC 2007

Andrew Close wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Paul Mason <latepaul at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip/>
>> I assumed Barry was English given references to Red Dwarf, so I felt free to
>> use English references myself (hoovering as vacuuming). I wasn't aware of
>> the rent/hire distinction.
>>
>> Still, I don't feel particularly bad when American English invents ugly
>> words like burglarize when a perfectly good word like burgle exists.
>
> isn't language fun?  the subtle differences between BE and AE are
> fascinating to me.  i have a very good friend who is British living in
> the US so i'm familiar with several fun differences.
>
> hire - rent
> lift - elevator
> bonnet - hood
>
> i haven't heard 'burgle' in quite a while.  it should definitely be
> used more often.
> used, not performed...

The best example I ever heard of "English variants" was when I was in
Toronto with an Australian fellow. He was talking to (chatting up) a
young lady and, when it started to get late, he told her he would "knock
her up in the morning".

Needless to say she took offense. When I told him what he had actually
told her he turned 6 shades of red.

Last I heard they were married.

beww