[mythtv-users] Power bill vs SchedulesDirect bill

Dale E. Martin dale at the-martins.org
Wed Sep 19 14:22:36 UTC 2007

> Yeah, and my 2 GHz P4 slave backend uses about 60 watts when idle.
> Hard disk spindown helps, too, if you have separate video and OS
> drives.  (In my experience you can never get a Linux OS drive to spin
> down for any reasonable amount of time.)

Look into "laptop-mode" or "noflushd", mount your filesystems "noatime",
and "nodiratime".  I.e. go read everything you can about saving power on
laptops and apply it to your backend.  It's possible to get Linux to spin
the drive down, it just takes some effort.

Take care,
  Dale
Dale E. Martin - dale at the-martins.org
http://the-martins.org/~dmartin