[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 22:56:42 UTC 2007

Damian wrote:
> I was almost at the end of my MythTV project the other day. It's just
> too temperamental for me. To many things still yet to do on it and each
> time I try to sort something, something else breaks. And in amongst that
> I've got random crashes and random inability to watch anything but a
> blank or scrambled screen. Followed by myth behaving perfectly for a
> week before it all crumbles again without me touching anything.
>
> It's a shame, but on Sunday I even thought of just buying Windows media
> centre and having done with it!
>
> I've pulled myself together since then.
>
> I simply don't have time to put such effort into a system. Something has
> got to change or I'll just buy a Freeview box or something.
>
> I've gone back to basics however. Someone's due to be coming this
> afternoon to check my signal. Once I know that's ok we can move on from
> there with baby steps. If he says that the signal is perfect, then I'll
> probably format and try Mythbuntu and if that gives me the same trouble
> then I think I'm out of her. In the past I'd have loved to spend day
> after day learning more and more about Linux and tweaking Myth. these
> days, with a demanding job, 3 kids (one of which is just a month old)
> there's just no time for a system that needs so much attention and
> demands the user to learn so much just to get it to work half ok.
>
> Here's hoping that the ariel guy tells me that my signal is rubbish so
> that my system is not totally to blame for all of the problems!
>
> Damian

Thanks for everyone's comments and support.
Mr TV aerial man said that the signal coming from the aerial wasn't too
bad, but the signal booster I had attached from there was less than
useless. He put a new one in there and rewired a couple of connections
for me for the tidy sum of £60 for his efforts.

Since he left, Myth hasn't done any of it's random crashing on startup
(though it's early days, I'd be surprised if that one is fixed), and
both cards hit a station and tune into it perfectly every time.

What is still happening is stuttering while watching live TV. I 'think'
this only happens on BBC1, and I think I saw a thread about it a while
back. I need to try to sort that out.

Here's my list of things I want to try to do next in the order I want to
do them ...
1) Stop stuttery jittery TV
	a-See if there's a fix if it is a BBC problem
	b-Get higher priority frontend working (tried a couple of methods, but
it doesn't seem to work for me)
	c-Get XvMC working (I've had it working, but not well and now it's not
working again .. grr)

2) Get remote working
	a few keys work and the rest don't. Nothing I do and no configuration
file I look at seems to change that. I also thing the current remote set
up is messing with my RF keyboard. The 'right' button on my keyboard
doesn't seem to work as well as it did before I started messing with the
remote. That could be coincidence though.

3) Start enjoying it
	get transcoding and archiving and all the nice bits I haven't touched
yet working.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
Damian